Making Cinnamon Roll Pancakes last Saturday morning wasn’t planned. However, cinnamon roll pancakes turned into a delicious new recipe that I decided to share with everyone.
I grew up eating pancakes every weekend as a special treat and break from eating grits Monday thru Friday. I now have made pancakes for my kids so often, that they will request to eat them on the weekends. This past Saturday, one of my boys asked me to make my Banana Pancakes for breakfast. I had all the ingredients, so I went ahead and started to make them. My kids were helping, as usual, measuring the flour, cracking the eggs, etc. In the middle of making the pancake batter, it hit me, I was out of maple syrup! I forgot that we used all the syrup up last weekend when I made pancakes and I forgot to buy more at the store.
I was concerned, pancakes are great to eat but not alone. Pancakes aren’t that sweet and are too dry to eat without syrup. Amazon Now free shipping takes 2 hours so that wasn’t an option for getting the syrup and I wasn’t up for stopping breakfast to take all the kids to the store. So, I did what most people do, I went to Pinterest to come up with inspiration/ideas for an alternative recipe. On Pinterest, I used that cool new “Refine” button that appears at the bottom of the screen after I search for a recipe. I put in the ingredients that I did have and Pinterest than updated my search with new recipe ideas. About 3 pictures down in my Pinterest App, I saw the idea for Cinnamon Roll Pancakes. I thought perfect, I have ingredients for pancakes, cinnamon rolls, and cream cheese icing. After some very quick reading on flavors and the technique to make them, I quickly g0t to work to complete the other pieces of the recipe.
My kids were so excited at the idea of cinnamon roll flavor in a pancake. This is definitely not a healthy power breakfast but it is a great treat for special occasions.
I used my normal pancake recipe to make the Cinnamon Roll Pancakes except I excluded the banana. After making the pancake batter, I mixed butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar to make the cinnamon filling that gets adding to the pancake using a disposable piping bag or Ziploc bag while the pancake batter is in the pan cooking. My last step was making the cream cheese icing in a pot on the stove. I used cream cheese, butter, and powder sugar. I made the pancakes on my electric griddle. The griddle is the best way to make a lot of pancakes at one time.
Cinnamon Roll pancakes were an instant hit in my house. My daughter preferred the pancake without the icing. I must warn you this recipe takes a little bit longer to make due to the filling and icing. So add about 10 minutes to your pancake prep time. Also, this recipe is SWEET! Definitely, drink it with a nice glass of milk or water.
What are some of your favorite breakfast foods as a kid? Have you taken any of your recipes and modified them as an adult?
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
Makes about 10 pancakes.
- 1 tsp vanilla
Heat griddle on high. Use vegetable oil, butter, or cooking spray on the pan to prevent sticking.
- Melt butter
- Mix dark brown sugar in a bowl.
- Add to a plastic bag or piping bag. You will need to cut a very tiny hole in the bag prior to use. Set aside.
Cream Cheese Icing
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter.
- Add cream cheese and powder sugar.
- Whisk until thin and bubbly. Be careful not to burn the mixture.
- Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Melt butter.
- Add buttermilk, vanilla, and eggs to melted butter. Mix and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix together.
- With a spoon, mix the wet and dry ingredients together in a big bowl.
- Using a 1/2 scoop or cup, put the batter on pan or griddle. Add circles of cinnamon filling to the pancake Flip pancake once circles begin to form. Always peak under the pancake prior to flipping.
- Drizzle with cream cheese icing.