This eggless potato salad is based off of the original Juan Pollo potato salad recipe. Juan Pollo is a delicious fast food chicken chain in Southern California. My husband usually isn’t a fan of any potato salad but he loves the potato salad at Juan Pollo. Juan Pollo’s original recipe is very creamy and delicious. The combination of their potato salad, chicken, and rice made for a delicious lunch or dinner. There are not too many ingredients in the potato salad recipe and with the exclusion of the boiled eggs its more similar to mashed potatoes.
I grew up eating Juan Pollo and a couple years ago they modified their eggless potato salad recipe. In my opinion, the new recipe isn’t as delicious as the original recipe. The recipe below is based off the original recipe that my husband and I enjoyed eating for so many years.
When making the recipe, it is very important that you boil the potatoes whole and with the skin on. You also need to let the potatoes rest for at least 45 minutes in the fridge prior to peeling. Make sure to leave some texture when you mash the potatoes. You want to keep a few larger pieces of potatoes in the mixture.
This recipe is based off of this copy cat Juan Pollo recipe found here. I made a couple tweaks to the amounts of some of the ingredients.
Serves about 4-6 people as a side dish.
- 5 medium russet potatoes (whole and not peeled)
- 1/4 Cup chopped green onion
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped olives
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 sour cream
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add potatoes. Boil for about an hour OR until you can easily stick a fork in the potatoes. They should be VERY soft.
- While the potatoes are boiling. Chop the onions and olives. Shred the carrots. I use The Presto Salad Shooter to shred my carrots. My Mother in Law bought the Salad Shooter for me a couple years ago. The Shooter works very quickly and makes the perfect size pieces. You can find it here on Amazon.
- After the potatoes are done boiling. Drain the water and put them in a bowl in the fridge for 45 minutes to 60 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from fridge. Peel skin and slightly mash.
- Add sour cream, mayonnaise, carrots, onions, olives, salt, and pepper.
- Mix all ingredients.
- Place in the fridge for 90 minutes. My husband and I prefer to eat it at room temperature. We don’t like it too cold, this is how Juan Pollo served it.