Thai Iced Tea is a must have for me anytime I eat at a Thai restaurant. I love the flavor, the sweetness, and creaminess of the tea. For dinner, I enjoy cooking a variety of Thai dishes. I wanted to find a way to make Thai Iced Tea at home. I did some reading, watched a lot of YouTube videos and learned how to make a delicious Thai Iced Tea at home.
The tea is a type of black tea leaf that is called Thai Black Tea. I found a brand from Thailand that is sold on Amazon. Turns out that the “orange” color is due to food coloring that is added. I thought it was something special, but its the same food coloring that is used in Easy Mac. The tea is naturally black. I also learned that the right way to make the tea is with a tea filter. The tea filter I bought was also from Amazon, but it shipped from Thailand! Took about a month and it cost $3.
This recipe was inspired by the Eating Thai Food website.
Makes 1 glass of tea.
- 1 tablespoon Thai black tea
- 1 cup of hot boiling water
- 3 teaspoons sweetened condensed milk (more if you like it very sweet!)
- 2 teaspoons evaporated milk (plus for the top)
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup of crushed ice
- Boil the water.
- Take your tea filter and add about 1 tablespoon of black Thai tea. Then put your tea sock into a bowl or big cup in order to steep the tea.
- Pour 1 cup of boiling water into the tea sock, and push it in and out to steep the tea and extract all that flavor. Steep the tea for a few minutes until it turns nice and dark in color.
- With a new cup or mason jar, pour in 1 cup of the tea.
- Add sugar and sweetened condensed milk. Stir.
- Add evaporated milk and stir.
- Optional – Froth. I added the lid to my mason jar and shook the tea up until it was bubbly.
- Take a cup and fill it with crushed ice.
- Pour tea over ice.
- Pour evaporated milk on top.